This recipe is from that beer cookbook I reviewed last year, and it's just too good not to share. It has become a real favourite of mine (and S's too!) and we never bother with the cherry tomatoes or chives anymore. No need to gild the lily as they say.
These wedges, combined with the dipping sauce from the 'Sesame Green Beans' recipe from the same cookbook, is one of the best snacks that I've discovered....EVER. A must-try!
250ml beer (lager) (the author recommends Export Gold)
1 cup all-purpose flour 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1.5 teaspoons paprika
2 avocados peeled and cut into wedges
salt and cracked pepper to season
vegetable oil for deep frying
8 small cherry tomatoes halved (optional)
2 tablespoons chives (optional)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Combine the beer, flour, garlic and paprika in a bowl and leave to stand for 2 hours.
2. Cut the avocadoes into wedges (about 1.5 cm thick at the base). Lightly season with salt and pepper and coat them with the batter.
3. Pre-heat oil to 180 degrees celcius (or test with a cube of bread - if it crisps easily and quickly, it's hot enough).
4. Fry wedges in hot oil until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
5. Season again with salt and pepper.
6. Mix dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl, taste and adjust to your preference.
7. May be served with salsa, or cherry tomatoes, with chopped chives.