Monday, January 18, 2010

Boo Berries


I also got some blueberries when I got my cherry fix on Saturday. Of course blueberries aren't the only berries (or berry like fruit) available this summer - there are also gooseberries, raspberries, red currants, black currants, etc. I didn't buy any other berry because I am not a baker and I can't be bothered trying to figure out what to do with the tartier berries. So, I just picked the one I thought would be best to eat just on its own - the blueberry. I got these (pictured) from the Ettrick Garden stall at the market at $5 for a small container.


Maybe I'm a little loopy but I love the moody, faded dark blue colour under the patchy coat of grey on the almost leather-like texture skin of the berries. They look like they belong in Miss Havisham's room in Great Expectations, covered in dust, untouched for years. Let me assure you, however, despite my silly romantic notions, they are in fact clean, fresh and nummy, nummy, nummy. These dainty, adorable, charming little blue balls are delicate, sweet, juicy and surprisingly refreshing. Perfect on a hot summer's day - you could easily eat a handful at a time. If you're more industrious and imaginative than I am, which is not hard to be, you can use them for making pancakes, muffins, cakes, etc. Lazy ol' me prefers to chomp away at the berries as they are - naturally fresh and delicious.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails