Monday, April 5, 2010

Fong Lye


Taiwanese Deep Fried Chicken 

Sweet Potato Balls

I visited Fong Lye with my friends in November last year and though I remember enjoying the experience immensely, I can't remember the names of some of the dishes (luckily I took a photo of the receipt) or details about the flavours and textures of the food. There are many of these 'to-be-blogged' food photos tucked away in my numerous picture folders, but I have not found the time to write about all of them. The price for my procrastination is the decay of my memory of those meals. While I will still be able to share the pictures, I will probably not be able to include as detailed a description as I would prefer.

Pork Chop Rice set

At first glance, Fong Lye looked quite posh and expensive and sceptical ol' me (of course) was bracing myself for a disappointment. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised. Fong Lye actually offers scrumptious Taiwanese fare at decent prices, considering the ambience and location. The great thing about visiting a restaurant that you have never been to before with a big group of friends is that you can order a lot of different dishes and try a little of everything. As far as I can remember, everyone liked everything except for the beef slices in filo pastry and the 'Cheesy Pork Chop Rice', which were not bad but a little odd. I liked that all the dishes came with side dishes (stir fried green beans, soy sauce stewed boiled egg and some mayonnaise filled potato and corn hash brown type thing) and a soup. As if that wasn't enough, the rice that was served with each dish was topped with a little meat sauce!

Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs Rice set

We began with an assortment of starters. My favourite was the Taiwanese Deep Fried Chicken but a number of the others loved the Sweet Potato Balls. The chicken was tasty, crunchy and slightly peppery (I think). The balls, which to my surprise were actually crisp hollow shells, were sweet and a little chewy. The Pork Chop Rice set that I had ordered for myself was tasty enough, but not enough to keep me from coveting what my friends' had ordered. The Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs and the Claypot Sliced Beef in particular, were delicious.


Claypot Sliced Beef Rice set

Unfortunately, I didn't really get to try the Taiwanese Braised Beef Noodles, which is one of the more well known Taiwanese dishes. If memory serves me right, my friends said the broth was rich and the beef was tender.

Taiwanese Braised Beef Noodle set

I really liked dining at Fong Lye and will definitely be going back again when I can. The restaurant was elegant, yet comfortable and casual, making it an ideal place to catch up with old friends. More importantly, the food was tasty and well presented and the service was friendly and efficient.

PS: Thanks to T for lending me his iPhone to photograph the food and then sending the pictures to me.


Spare Ribs Rice set


Fong Lye Restaurant
Lot T-208, 3rd Floor
The Gardens, Mid Valley City
Lingkaran Syed Putra
59200 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails